Railways in PuneBeing the second largest city of Maharashtra, Pune is well connected to almost all major Indian cities through railways. There are regular trains to and from different parts of the country that touches the city.
There are three railways stations in Pune, all of which are owned and managed by the Indian Railways.
Pune Railway Station or Pune JunctionThis is the largest railway station in Pune and is located in the central area of the city. Its operations commenced in 1856 with the first train running between Mumbai and Pune. At present, there are more than 125 trains passing from Pune Junction.
Under the high speed rail project of Indian Railways, a bullet train is proposed to be introduced between Pune and Ahmedabad, with Mumbai as one of the stopover destinations.
Some of the trains that originate, pass-by or terminate at Pune Railway Station are as follows:
- Duronto Express
- Garib Rath
- Jan Shatabdi
- Sampark Kranti
- Pune - Mumbai Deccan Queen Express
- Pune - Mumbai Pragati Express
- Pune - Mumbai Sinhagad Express
- Pune - Mumbai Intercity Express
- Pune - Indore Express
- Pune - Nagpur Express
- Pune - Patna Express
- Pune - Lucknow Express
- Howrah - Pune Azad Hind Express
- Pune - Jaipur Express
- Kolhapur - Ahmedabad Express
- Mumbai - Chennai Express
- Mumbai - Trivandrum Central - Kanyakumari Jayanti Janatha Express
- Rajkot - Secundarabad Express
- Jodhpur - Bangalore (Yeshwantpur) Express
- Ajmer - Bangalore (Yeshwantpur) Garib Nawaz Express
- Mumbai - Latur Express
- New Delhi (Hazrat Nizamuddin) - Vasco Da Gamma Goa Express
- New Delhi (Hazrat Nizamuddin) - Hubli Express slip
- Okha - Madurai Vivek Express
- Deccan Odyssey (tourist train)
The current size of main Pune railway station is small as compared to other metros of India. It has only 6 platforms and 8 tracks. Consequently, it does not have sufficient capacity and resources to meet the existing demand of passenger traffic and freight load. A plan to modernize Pune Junction and provide world class amenities to the rail passengers has been under consideration for some time.
The station code of Pune Junction is PUNE.
Pune Railway Station Building
Near Sasoon Hospital
Pune - 411001
All Purpose Enquiry
Arrival and Departure
131, 133, 020 – 26126575
Amenities at Pune Railway Station
- Medical Shop
- Tourist Information Centres
- STD/PCO Booth
- Computer Reservation Office
- Retiring Room
- Waiting Room
- Refreshment - Veg/Non-Veg
- Light Refreshment Stall
- Book Stall
Shivajinagar Railway StationShivajinagar Railway Station is just 2 kms away from Pune Junction. It’s a small station with only two platforms. Most of the suburban trains and a few of Mumbai-Pune trains halt at Shivajinagar Railway Station. Many passengers arriving in Pune prefer to terminate their journey at this station since it is less crowded than the main station.
Shivajinagar Railway Station is important as it is near to the Pune Session Court, College of Engineering, PMC building, etc.
Know More about Public Transport in Pune
Trains that pass by Shivajinagar Railway are:
- Bhuj - Pune Intercity Express
- Veraval - Pune Intercity Express
- Jodhpur - Pune Intercity Express
- Mumbai - Pune Deccan Express
- Mumbai - Pune Pragati Express
- Karjat - Daund
- Karjat - Pune Passenger
- Mumbai - Shirdi Passenger
- Mumbai - Bijapur Passenger
Near MSRTC Bus Stand,
Pune - 411005
Ghorpuri Railway StationThis is another small railway station near the government colony Ghorpuri. It is mostly a halt for six express trains running between few cities of Maharashtra and other states.
Here is a list of the trains that start from or pass through Ghorpuri Railway Station.
- Sahyadri Exp
- Koyna Express
- Maharashtra Exp
- Gkp Ltt Exp
S Main Rd
Pune – 411049