Income Tax Office in PuneIncome Tax is the most important source of revenue for the Government of India. The revenue earned through the collection of income tax helps Indian government to balance the economic disparity and develop infrastructure, schools and hospitals in the country. There are two types of taxes – Direct and Indirect. Income tax, gift tax and wealth tax falls under the category of direct taxes whereas Excise Duties and Sales tax are indirect taxes.
The concept of Income Tax was introduced by the British after the 1857 mutiny. At present, rules and regulations as formulated in the Income Tax Act of 1961, on recommendation of Law Commission and Direct Tax Enquiry Committee in consultation with the Ministry of Law, are adhered. As per the Income Tax Act of 1961, individuals including non-residents of India, undivided Hindu families, associations, bodies of individuals, artificial juridical persons having an annual income above Rs 2 lakh, are liable to pay tax. Apart from individuals, societies, charitable institutions, partnership firms, co-operative societies and local authorities are liable to pay Income Tax Office.
Click Here to Read about Passport Offices in Pune
Income Tax Department Pune
Income Tax Department of Pune is situated in Shankar Seth Road. The Income Tax Department operates under the supervision of Central Board of Direct Taxes. The department is headed by Chief Commissioner of Income Tax. Every year the Department sets it annual performance targets, that is, revenue collection and to meet the operating expenses they are provided with the required budget by the Government.
There are four Chief Commissioners of Income Tax and one Director General of Income Tax in Pune region. The Chief Commissioners are posted in Thane, Nasik and Pune and the Director General is posted in Pune. The Income Tax Department also comprises 28 Commissioners, 58 Additional CsITs, 84 officers of DScIT/ACsIT, 242 Income Tax officers and 1596 staff.
Apart from revenue collection the other main functions of the Tax Department of Pune have been:
- To build a relationship of mutual trust, tolerance and politeness between the officials and tax-payers.
- The Department has opened several facilitation and tax enquiry counters to help the tax payers with their queries.
- The Department organizes several open house sessions, seminars and public meetings to reach out to the tax payers and address their grievances.
To know more about Income Tax department go it its website: www.incometaxindia.gov.in
Income Tax Department Pune AddressPMT Building, Opposite Swargate Bus Stand
Shankar Sheth Road, Swargate
Pune - 411042
Phone no.: 020 24448666
Department of Sales Tax Pune
The Sales Tax office in Pune is located at Yerwada. Sales tax is charged by the government after the consumption and purchase of goods and services. The tax percentage as set by the government can either be included with the price of the commodity or added at the sale point. There are two types of sales tax – consumption or retail sales tax and value added tax (VAT).
Some of the important tasks of the Sales Tax Department in Pune are as follows:
- To implement recovery provision of the VAT Act according to the set procedures.
- To hand out tax clearance certificates.
- To supervise and co-ordinate the collection of sales tax.
- To arrange proper training and developmental facilities for its staff.
- To keep a vigil on the implementation and formulation of annual operational plans and to make monthly reports on the progress.
Sales Tax Office Pune AddressVikrikar Bhavan, opposite Golf Club
Airport Road, Yerwada
Pune, Maharashtra - 411006
Phone no.: 020 26609230
Customs Office in Pune
The Central Excise and Customs Commissionerate of Pune is the sole authoritative body for the collection of service tax on taxable goods, Union Excise duties on manufactured goods and Customs duties on goods imported into the country. Customs officials are entitled to prevent smuggling of goods and settling issues between Customs and working area.
Pune’s Customs Commissionerate came into force on July 1997 after the trifurcation of the Commissionerate of Central Excise and Customs. In its initial years, the Commissionerate operated under Customs Mumbai III Zone, which later on July 26, 2007 came under the purview of Central Excise and Customs Zone of Pune. The influence and arbitration of the Commissionerate spreads to 7 Revenue district of Maharashtra, namely, Kolhapur, Sholapur, Ratnagiri, Pune, Sangli, Satara and Sindhudurg.
Customs Commissionerate has four Inland Container Depots - three in Pune districts of Pimpri, Dighi, Talegaon and Pimpri-Chinchwad and one at Miraj in Sangli district. Major commodities like iron and steel, broilers, engineering goods, heavy melting scraps, automobile parts, organic chemicals and many others are imported and exported through these Inland Container Depot and Container Freight Stations of Pune under the vigilance of Customs officials.
Pune International Airport at Lohegaon has also been certified as a Customs Airport on January 17, 1997. Initially the airport was permitted to export perishable agricultural items like fruits, vegetables, flowers and processed food. Since December 2005 under Vide Notification No. 108/2005 – Cus (NT), the airport is allowed to import and export any class of commodities permitted by the Government. The airport also got a clearance of international departing and arriving passengers and baggage.
Some of the vital functions performed by the Customs officials at Pune are:
- To thwart smuggling and other illegal activities that includes anti-narcotic functions such as Joint Sea Patrolling, Patrolling of Coasts and Creeks, collection of intelligence, night road patrolling and rummaging of cargo vessels.
- Enforcement of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act of 1985.
- Supervising telecommunications network of the entire inland and coastal regions of Konkan starting from Bankot in the north to Kiranpani in the south.
- Assessing Entry Bills and Shipping Bills and other related works at Container Freight Stations and Inland Container Depots
For more information on Pune Customs Office, go to the Website: www.punecustoms.nic.in
Central Excise & Customs Pune Address41 /A, ICE House, Sasoon Road
'E' Wing, 3rd Floor, Pune
Phone no.: 020 26051800
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0